The History of
 St Margarets

 




The Parish Church of St Margaret of Antioch is situated in the grounds
on the south side of the Abbey ruins.

                     

Captain James Cook the explorer was married here on 21st December 1762.

The last Steward of the Abbey, William Pounsett was given the right to
appoint the Vicar of St Margaret's a right now Shared by All Souls
College, Oxford, the Bishop of Chelmsford and our Churchwardens.
Three marble slabs on the Wall of the North porch give the names and
date of appointment of all the recorded Vicars of Barking from 1315 to now.

                     

The oldest part of the present building is thought to be the Chancel which
was built in the early 1200's during King John's reign. The church began
life as a chapel for the local people and worship was lead by a chaplain
from the Abbey.

 

The Bell Tower was added in the late 1400's and houses a Peal of 8 bells.

back   more