The History of
 St Margarets

 




In 1772 the ceilings of the Nave, Chancel and Sanctuary were covered
in plaster, which was removed from the Nave in 1842.

In 1991 an extension was added to the south side to improve the
facilities. The Centre houses the Church office, Dove Bookshop and
Refectory. Refreshments are served in the Lantern Room on weekdays
and Saturday mornings.

                 

The church has a number of interesting memorials and benefaction
boards. These record the lives of many local people both from Barking
and the surrounding areas of Beehive, Ilford, Parsloes and Dagenham,
reminding us that the influence of the Abbey covered a wide area.
These provide us with information about the churches links with the
City of London, in particular the Poulters Livery Company, and of the
fishing industry that flourished in Barking until the railways came.

 

The window in the Youth Chapel depicting the Barking fishing industry

The War Memorial in the Inner North Aisle has a new wreath placed
on it each Remembrance Sunday by the British Legion and reminds us
of those who gave their lives in the service of their country in
the two World Wars.

A number of Saxon relics can be found around the church and some
interesting stained glass windows

The church organ is now located in the Inner North Aisle having
been moved from a gallery at the West End. It has three keyboards,
pedals and an impressive case and pipes from an earlier 18th
Century instrument.

back