Saint Margarets Church Barking

Where People Come to Rejoice

Family Records

Family records of St Margaret’s Barking

St Margaret’s Church can only keep recent records of Baptisms, Confirmations and Weddings because of lack of space. Older records, including burials , are deposited at Essex Records Office or the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Local Studies Centre at Valence House Museum in Dagenham or Barking Registry Office as follows:-

  • Baptisms: St Margaret’s has records from 6th January 1991.
    Earlier records are stored at Essex Records Office or Valence House* (1558 to 1991).
  • Confirmations: St Margaret’s has records back to 28th November 1965. Earlier records are stored at Essex Records Office.
  • Weddings: St Margaret’s has registers back to 21st August 1993.Earlier Parish records are stored at Essex Records Office or Valence House* (1558 to 1993) (see below). London Borough of Barking and DagenhamRegistry Office has copies of Church & Civil Marriage Registersfrom1837.  Our current Register, which the Register Office do not have a cipy, date from 18/11/2006.
  • Burials: All our Burial Registers are  at Essex Records Office. Valence House Museum in Dagenham has Microfilm records* for St. Margaret’s (1558-1947) & Rippleside Cemetery 1886-1902 (including burials moved from the “Park Hall” Graveyard).  They also have details of most of the Churchyard graves/monuments (see below).

*  The Valence House Baptism, Wedding and burials records are on Microfilm so advance booking is recomminded - phone 020 8270 6896 or e-mail l


In Church: A plan and list of monuments and memorial stones within the Church, with names, if known, can be found hanging on a pillar in the Outer North Aisle of St.Margaret’s Church.

In Churchyard: The Borough Engineers Department of Barking Council took over maintenance of the Churchyard in 1930. They carried out a survey of monuments and graves between 1930 & 1932 and produced an index and plan which are now held by the Valence House Museum in Dagenham. They also have a book which has a detailed description of each monument and details any wording that was legible at that time. Unfortunately a significant number of graves have since been damaged or have deteriorated so much, mainly due to weathering, that they have had to be removed or laid down to ensure the safety of the public using the Churchyard.


  • London Borough of Barking & Dagenham, Registry Office Woodlands House, Rainham Road North, Dagenham RM10 7ER. Tel: 0208 270 4744.  Email:
  • Essex Records Office, Wharf Road Chelmsford, Essex  CM2 6YT
    Telephone: 01245 244 644 E-mail address: .
  • Valence House Museum, archives and local studies library  Beacontree Avenue, Dagenham,  RM8 3HT. Tel: 020 8227 2034.  For further information please look at their Web site: then click on “Museums & heritage” and then “Local Studies Centre”.
  • East of London Family History Society  Information about membership and publications available on their Website:
  • St Margaret’s Parish Church, The Broadway, Barking, Essex IG11 8AS. Tel; 0208 594 2932. email: .  See Website: www.saintmargaret’ for details of Services, activities and other information.

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *